Sunday, April 17, 2011

weekend harvest

We had a small harvest for weekend lunch again.  Right now, we mostly just pick them as we need them.

weekend harvest

We harvested some pea shoots, a carrot, and a bunch of green onions.  Last late fall we planted all different kinds of carrots, but we didn't label them.  I believe this one is a cosmic purple.  It has a beautiful red/purplish skin, but I was disappointed to see that it was orange inside (well, I should know.  It was in the description when I bought it).  I like the red carrots in "carnival blend" better.  The skin and the flesh are both a beautiful red.  It's a nice contrast when cooked with orange carrots.  Both the cosmic purple and carnival blend are from Botanical Interests.

We only have a few of the fall carrots left, and the germination rate of the carrot seeds we sowed in mid-March was REALLY low (only 2 sprouts. Really sad).  We need to re-sow more seeds.

weekend harvest

Of course, there were more peas.  I have a hard time keeping up with the peas.

pea

7 comments:

Dave @ HappyAcres said...

That is a wild looking carrot! I know they come in other colors, but I've only grown the orange ones. You are lucky to have the peas. They are tough to grow here (it gets too hot too soon)

Lynda said...

The peas are lovely! What month did you plant them? I just planted mine and I know I'm way behind...the ground was just too wet for too long.

Melissa said...

What a gorgeous carrot!!

Sherry said...

Hi Villager,
I like having carrots in all different colors. It's fun to look at and to eat!.

**********
Thanks, Lynda! I didn't keep good records before I started blogging... so I don't remember exactly when I planted the peas. I think it was last Nov. or Dec. It took them a while to sprout and they grew slowly when it was cold. Then they took off in late winter when we had some weird warm weather. Now the plants are getting too old. I'm planning on planting some new ones soon.

**********
Thanks, Melissa!

Ottawa Gardener said...

I am so looking forward to pea season. They are delicious which reminds me I should start another row of shellers. The other day I bought some heritage rainbow carrots and one was purple through and through. So purple, it stained the countertops. Don't know where the seed originated from but I was surprised.

Daphne Gould said...

I tried red carrots one year. They didn't produce well for me. They were very weak plants (cosmic red). This year I'm trying purple (purple haze). I don't think it has a purple center either. But the purple ring will look very pretty in a salad.

Mac said...

Lovely harvest, I like different colors of carrot also. This year I'm planting Red Dragon from SSE, the seeds were from last year I hope they germinate for me.