Monday, May 23, 2011

lavender and kumquat

lavender and kumquat

We harvested some lavenders and kumquats this weekend.  I am planning on making lavenders sachets to keep in closets and drawers.  I read that they are effective moth repellents.  In any case, my clothes will smell nice.  Right now they are hung upside down in bundles in the closet, because that's the only dark dry place I can think of.  The darkness will help retaining their purple color.  

As for the kumquats, I will probably make another round of the candied kumquats.  Maybe I'll reduce the sugar in the syrup this time and roll them in sugar after they are dry.  

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ohhh I love Lavender!! You are right, your clothes will smell nice.

I also take some of mine, dried, and place it in a cotton 'sac' that hangs at my bedside. When I go to bed every night, I crunch up the sac a tad and fall asleep smelling Lavender ;)

Daphne Gould said...

We planted some lavender here. I hope it grows well because I really do love the scent.

Robin said...

What a beautiful photo! My lavender is just starting to flower. I have never dried mine...great idea!

Sherry said...

Allison~ I love lavenders, too. It sounds like a good idea to keep one next to the bed. It will help with sleeping.

Daphne~ These are from the first lavender we planted three years ago. It's growing into a monster and blooming more every year.
We are now hooked on lavenders. We planted 4 more (well... 6 more but 2 died) last year and 3 more (5 planted but 2 died) this year. All different kinds.

Robin~ This is the first time I am trying to dry mine. I usually just cut a bunch and put them in a vase.