Friday, May 13, 2011

lunch for the lazies - avocado tomato salad (over noodles)

avocado tomato salad

The main ingredients (avocado and tomato) used for this dish were not from the garden.  I wanted to write a post on it, so when we get those perfectly sun-ripen tomatoes I will remember to make this again.  The green garlic, green onion, and lemon used in the sauce were from the garden.  When I cut into them, the aroma filled the whole kitchen.  I really love using fresh home-grown herbs.

avocado tomato salad

This salad is sweet, sour, spicy, yet refreshing.  I generally don't like food that's too sweet or spicy, so you can adjust the amounts of ingredients to your taste buds' liking.  The noodles are optional.  You can mix some olive oil and seasonings in the noodles.  I didn't because I wanted to keep it light (and I was lazy).

I didn't really take down the measurements, so these are just guesstimates.  Just adjust as you are making the sauce.

Ingredients: 
1 avocado, cut in chunks
1/2 ripe tomato, chopped
5 jumbo shrimps, cooked (boiled, sautéed... however you like it)
noodles (optional)

Sauce:
1 green onion, chopped
1/2 green garlic, chopped
juice from 1/2 lemon
1 dry chili pepper, seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar/brown sugar

1 - In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the sauce.  Mix well and taste it.  Adjust to taste if necessary.

avocado tomato salad

2 - If you are adding noodles, boil and drain noodles.  Place the cooked noodles on a plate.

3 - Mix avocado, tomato, and cooked shrimps with the sauce.  Place the salad on top of the noodles.  Grab a fork and dig in!

avocado tomato salad

No comments: