Friday, July 8, 2011

death of the potatoes

dead potatoes

This was the gruesome crime scene.  The potatoes finally gave up and died.  They hadn't even flowered yet.  Cause of death - Bug problem? Blight? Not enough sunlight? Uneven moisture?  I don't know.

We have yet to have potatoes grown to the flowering stage.  Last year we grew them in containers.  They were all green and happy one day, but the next day half of the leaves were eaten by some bug.  We are no experts in potato growing, and we haven't had luck with it, either.

potatoes

Yesterday we dug the bed to see what we could salvage, and these were what we found.  Not too bad.  We planted them from a bag of sprouted store-bought potatoes, and we got more than we put in.  All is not lost.

sliced potatoes

I also coped with this tragedy by cooking.  I wanted a simple dish that would allow me to really taste the potatoes, so I made a potato omelet.

I scrubbed the skins, sliced and seasoned the potatoes with salt, pepper, and dried thyme, and set it aside for 10 - 15 minutes.  After 15 minutes, I put a good amount of vegetable oil in a frying pan and set it on low heat.  I poured beaten eggs over the seasoned potato slices, lifting the slices to make sure they were coated.  Then, I put the potato-egg mixture into the frying pan and covered the pot.  I did flip the omelet half way through, but it was not easy.  I suppose it would have cooked all the way through without the flipping since it was on low heat and covered.

potato omelet

The taste?  It was really good.  There is really nothing like fresh home-grown potatoes.  I wish I could describe it better.  They have a true potato taste and the texture is nice and firm.

Next time, I'll add another egg so the omelet would hold its form better and maybe some of our newly-harvested garlics.

potato omelet

2 comments:

Accidentalultrarunner said...

I'm growing mine in smart pots, but basically the same thing. Perfectly fine and lush one day then whammo, eatten leaves. I have to pull them soon.

Sherry said...

I guess that's part of the "fun" in gardening. You never know how things are going to go, good or bad. The garden never stops surprising us.