Monday, July 11, 2011

weekend harvest - summer is here

Summer is here.  We can feel it in the hot air and the garden tells us so, too.  Summer squashes, cucumbers, beans, tomatoes, peppers... are starting to ripen one by one.  We are busy harvesting, cooking, and eating that I forgot to take more pictures.  Here are a few of pictures that I managed to put down my pots and forks and took.

harvest

These are some of the veggies that we had for Saturday dinner.  In the picture - water spinach (water morning glory), patty pans, beefsteak tomato, lemon/lime basils, and yard long beans.  This was our first harvest of yard long beans.  We have been getting the Kentucky Wonder green beans for about two weeks now.  The lima beans are the last to come.  We have plenty of lima bean pods now, but they are still flat.

cucumbers

Right now we have cucumbers coming out of our ears.  Not that we don't appreciate them.  They just grow faster than we can harvest, eat, and give away.  I need to find more creative ways to use them.

blackberries

Blackberry is at the peak of production.  I can get a nice big bowlful every 2-3 days.  They are so plump, juicy, and flavorful.  Yum!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice harvest! Those berries look delish!!

Dave @ HappyAcres said...

Cucumbers can be a challenge to use up. I wind up giving a lot of ours away. I'm waiting on our yardlong beans to bloom, They're vining like crazy, so it won't be too much longer. Love those pattypans too!

foodgardenkitchen said...

Thanks for stopping by our blog! I've scrolled through yours and your garden's output is looking good :)

johanna said...

sliced thin and tossed with vinegar and a little sugar our family of three can use up two good sized ones. Cucumber soup is another way. Everything looks good.

Robin said...

Cucumbers can really get out of control. I try not to plant too many...but, I need to plant enough to make pickles. Last year when I was done making pickles and relish I pulled the vines.

Those blackberries are looking good...do I see some blackberry jam in your future?

Sherry said...

Thanks, Allison! The blackberries are really good!
------

Villager - I still have a lot of cucumbers after giving them away. I'm afraid my friends are going to hide when they see us coming. My yard long beans survived the earlier aphid attack. They are producing well now.
------

foodgardenkitchen - Thanks!
------

Johanna - We do a similar one with minced garlics/green onion, vinegar, lemon juice, and honey. Cucumber soup sounds good. I shall look up some recipes. Thanks for the suggestion!
------

Robin - I only planted two. They are just some really productive cucumber plants! You read my mind! I just started canning this year. I do want to make some blackberry jams.

Daphne Gould said...

Those blackberries look so good. I wish I had some to make jam. For some reason I keep craving blackberry jam this year.